When Joy and Grief Arrive Together
No one tells you that one of the hardest parts of infertility is learning your heart can celebrate and break at the exact same time.
It happens in moments you never see coming.
Someone sits across from you with a smile they can barely contain.
You already know.
Before they even say the words, your heart starts celebrating.
You watch their face light up as they tell you they’re pregnant. You hug them. You laugh with them. Maybe your eyes even well up because you know how long they’ve prayed for this moment.
And for a second, that’s all you feel.
Joy.
Real, wholehearted joy.
Joy.
Real, wholehearted joy.
Then somewhere between the congratulations and the drive home…
It happens.
It’s almost physical.
Like someone stepped onto your chest.
It’s almost physical.
Like someone stepped onto your chest.
Like your heart suddenly forgot how to breathe.
Nothing about your happiness for them changed.
But all at once, you’re painfully aware of the empty space you’re still carrying.
But all at once, you’re painfully aware of the empty space you’re still carrying.
That’s the part people don’t always understand.
They assume you must be jealous.
Or they assume you’re completely okay.
They assume you must be jealous.
Or they assume you’re completely okay.
But infertility has taught me that the heart is capable of holding two completely opposite emotions at the exact same time.
I can be genuinely, deeply thrilled that someone else gets to become a mother.
And in the very same moment, quietly grieve that I am still waiting.
Those emotions don’t compete with one another.
One doesn’t make the other less real.
I’ve left conversations smiling, only to cry the entire drive home.
I’ve thanked God for someone else’s answered prayer while asking Him, once again, about mine.
I’ve carefully wrapped baby gifts with joy, only to sit in my car afterward and let myself feel the weight of what I still long for.
For a long time, I wondered if that made me a bad friend.
If my grief somehow diminished my love for the people around me.
But I’ve realized something.
Love doesn’t erase longing.
And longing doesn’t diminish love.
Both can exist.
Fully.
Honestly.
At the same time.
Love doesn’t erase longing.
And longing doesn’t diminish love.
Both can exist.
Fully.
Honestly.
At the same time.
Romans 12 tells us to “Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.”
Infertility has taught me that sometimes you’re asked to do both at once.
You rejoice over someone else’s answered prayer.
And you quietly mourn your own unanswered one.
It’s a strange kind of holy tension.
One that stretches your heart in ways you never imagined.
Because every pregnancy announcement gives you another opportunity to choose.
Will I allow disappointment to harden me?
Or will I let love be louder?
Some days, choosing joy feels effortless.
Other days, it feels like worship.
Not because the tears aren’t there.
But because you choose to celebrate anyway.
I’ve learned that another person’s blessing is never evidence that God has forgotten me.
Their miracle doesn’t steal from my future.
God’s faithfulness isn’t a limited resource that runs out before it reaches my story.
I don’t know when my waiting will end.
I don’t know what the next chapter looks like.
There are still days when my heart aches more than I know how to put into words.
But I do know this:
Every time I choose to celebrate someone else’s joy while trusting God with my own unanswered prayers, He is shaping something in me.
He’s teaching me to love without conditions.
To rejoice without comparison.
To trust without certainty.
And maybe that’s one of the quiet miracles of infertility.
Not that your heart stops hurting.
But that it never stops loving, either.
Maybe that’s what faith looks like sometimes.
Holding joy in one hand.
Grief in the other.
And trusting that God is big enough to carry them both.

Comments
Post a Comment